Thursday, August 28, 2008

8/23 Goodbye City of Soul

I'm sitting in the Jackson airport on a overcast afternoon, waiting to board my plane. Joe Biden was just announced this weekend as Obama's VP pick and the 2008 Summer Olympics will conclude soon.

In my backpack is JoAnne's book, "Barefootin'," photos of her and Willie I'm using for a magazine article, and a camera filled with images of wonderful friends whom I already miss dearly and moments that I've ingrained in my memory forever...

Looking out on Memphis at night. Eating in Oxford's square. Skateboarding at 3a.m. in a church parking lot. Playing Air Guitar. Visiting Willie's grave in Yazoo City. Dancing at 930 Blues Cafe. Congregating at JoAnne's for one wonderful after party. Getting my nose pierced.

Now in the airport, instead of feeling sticky and hot, I'm actually chilly and wishing I had a sweater.

It seems like just yesterday I got here, meandered around to the Enterprise desk and was pleasantly surprised to pick up my hot red Ford Focus.

After a tearful drive from JoAnne's, I relinquished that sweet little vehicle and got in return a receipt for a big bill.

More saddening was saying goodbye to so many lovely people: The JFP staff and interns, the associates, neighbors, Bryan, Janine, Shannon, and of course, my housemates, Alex and JoAnne.

As Dad said on the phone on my way to the airport, "Knowing my daughter, you're probably an emotional, sentimental wreck right now. It's OK. We love you and look forward to seeing you!"

I look forward to seeing them too and spending a couple of weeks at 1240 Tenth Ave in our white cottage next to the park I've played at since I was a baby. Home is where the heart is, but my heart isn't just parked in the Willamette Valley––it's all over the country and world.

I am incredibly honored and blessed to have spent this summer this summer so well. It's been both transforming and adventuresome. During the past nine weeks, I have learned more about journalism, the South and life than I could have hoped or imagined.

I am proud to call myself an honorary summer Mississippian. I am proud that I listened to my heart, that I followed this whim, that I threw myself in and didn't stop seizing opportunities up until the last moment. I am proud that I've let loose and opened myself up to a future filled with possibilities.

I am forever changed because of Mississippi and its people, and a better person for it.

I will be writing about this summer for a long time, but this will be my last post from Mississippi.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great Blog Lisa -- from the oldest intern in your JFP class --- Pat